Have you lost or forgotten the password to your Windows server? Has a malicious user locked you out of your system? This guide should show you how to reset the default administrator (as well as others if necessary) password.
Please be aware that this only works for servers in our Xeon servers location. Most steps can still be carried out, however a member of staff will need to manually setup a new password after you remove the existing one on I7/I9's.
- First, head to your control panel and go to your Dedicated Servers
- Select the server you wish to reset the password on and then go to the Provision tab.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page, here you will see a misc section with a button Sysrcd 4.3.1[Rescue System]
- Select the button and click Start Reinstall
This will NOT reinstall the server, it will only place the server into rescue mode
You will now receive an email with details to login to your server. To connect, you can use the provided iKVM module (London servers only) otherwise you can connect via an SSH tool, such as Putty.
- Login to your server via your SSH client, if you cannot connect please wait a few minutes and try again
- Username: Root
- Password: Check your emails
If you have more than 1 drive you will see multiple devices listed
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/windows
chntpw -u Administrator SAM